What is CEREC 3D?
CEREC 3D (CERamic REConstruction 3 Dimension) is a high tech tool that allows us do ceramic dental restoration using a variety of computer assisted technologies, including 3D photography and CAD/CAM.
The CEREC 3D technology can be used for teeth restoration involving inlays, onlays or crowns.
All ceramic bridges and implant supported abutments can NOW be fabricated in as little time as one visit.
When restorative work is done on your teeth using CEREC, the restoration can be completed in a single sitting. This is in comparison with the multiple sittings required when using earlier techniques.
Additionally, the latest software and hardware technologies made available by CEREC, crowns, veneers, onlays and inlays can be prepared using different types of ceramic material to exactly match your teeth color and its shade.
CEREC 3D Advantages to Patients:
- Saves you time: Your restoration will be ready in a day, instead of the two or more weeks waiting time and multiple doctor visits needed in traditional technology. Also, there is no need to wear the temporary crown otherwise needed when using the traditional approach.
- Preserve more of your natural teeth structure: Due to the high accuracy of the 3D fabrication technology used in CEREC, often a partial coverage restoration can be completed instead of doing a full conventional crown. This means that more of your natural teeth structure is retained when doing the restoration.
- Digital accuracy producing more natural results: Fillings are created using the 3D images generated by the special digital camera. This eliminates taking a mold manually and possible minor distortions that can result from the manual method. Also, since the 3D image can capture the exact shape of your teeth prior to the restoration, the fillings can exactly duplicate the pre-prepared teeth.
- Stronger porcelain: After the 3D image of your tooth is captured, we will design the restoration right in front of you. Once the design is completed, the CEREC will mill the restoration using the 3D image as the guide. Milled ceramic is stronger than hand layered and pressed ceramic.
- Better aesthetics: Homogeneous porcelain used in CEREC blends in better than other porcelains giving you a more natural looking teeth. The CEREC porcelain comes in various colors that closely match most shades of natural tooth. In fact, it is often difficult to spot the restoration after it is bonded to your tooth.
Is CEREC the right choice for me?
CEREC is one among the many options available to restore your teeth. Please call our office and we will be very happy to discuss with you the options for your specific scenario. In general CEREC 3D can be an ideal choice if you:
- Like to have a long lasting restoration
- Like to keep as much of your natural tooth as possible
- Like to minimize the number of office visits
- Like to have your teeth to look as natural as possible
On the other hand, if you have a very badly damaged tooth in an area where you chew very hard, CEREC 3D may not be an ideal choice. Also, if you have very small cavities, CEREC 3D may not be necessary.
If you like to explore CEREC 3D for your teeth Restoration, your dentists at Dr. Thanos Kristallis & Associates at Washington Metro Center Dental will be happy to discuss with you to help you determine the options available to you.